Tuesday 19 March 2013



One word: Maths! Today I did maths with Katie. In maths we did probability which is a bit like 'guesstimating' what is going to happen.  First we started with a dice.  There are 6 possibilities when you roll the dice - 1 2 3 4 5 6.  Each time you roll the dice, you have got a 1 / 6 chance of rolling each number, which as a percentage works out to be 16.6%!  We all drew tally charts to show all the outcomes and then Katie rolled the dice 50 times and we marked down the results.  We worked out our actual percentages.  Next, we did it again but this time we used a box of chocolates. MMMMMMM! First we had to work out how many chocolates there were.  Then we worked out how many of each flavour there was.  From this, we worked out the probability of pulling each flavour out.  We tipped all the chocolates into a basket and we all took turns to draw out a chocolate. We called out 'Moro' or 'Crunchie' and we recorded  our results.

We did 50 grabs, and then worked out our percentages.  We predicted that we would pull out Cherry Ripe and Turkish Delight the least, as there weren't as many of them, but we pulled them out heaps!  At the end Katie said we could have one chocolate each. I chose the Moro bar because it was my favourite chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. Man I love chocolate!! Turkish Delights are my absolute favourite so I am glad to hear there are plenty of them in a packet!!
    I like how I am hearing your personal voice in your blog - with the MMMMMM I get that you were not at all unhappy that you are playing with chocolates ha!
    You will have to show Tupou what you now know about probability so she can mark it on your Statistics criteria.

    ReplyDelete